Friday, March 9, 2012

confessions–my makeup ran and look where it got me

I was so holding it together… until yesterday. I couldn’t take it anymore. My daily sitting on the floor for the past three months while a toddler and baby slime, maul, and jump on me wasn’t cutting it anymore. There was so much I wanted to be doing and couldn’t. I have had to put so much on the back burner because of the demands the girls were placing on me… to sit! (Not including church, house, marriage, friends, get togethers, baby showers, and all those other demands not only others, but I place on myself)

So I cried, called my mom, and cried to her. Then I cried after I called my mom, kept it pretty well together during dinner and until after the girls were in bed, then cried myself to sleep.

Then I woke up this morning… and I am now sick. I let my guard down and my body decided to just throw one more thing into the mix. Thank you body-

I know my body is telling me to slow down. It ALWAYS happens! Even in high school I would get sick after the crazy busy December rushes with dance and choir. Push, push, push, and crash hard.

I wish I could say that my body screaming to take care of it would be exactly what I am doing today. If ONLY it were that simple. Instead, I am popping Mucinex D and pushing through a JAM packed next 10 days… while my girls (mainly Trout) begs for me to hold her every second… then I will find myself sitting on the floor again… slimed.

3 comments:

Becky said...

When I read this I laughed. Not at you, but I feel exactly the same way. I was just thinking those same thoughts and then I read your post. Know that you're not alone:) Being a mom is definitely the best and hardest thing. Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you need to schedule some play days or higher a YW to watch the girls at your house ... even if you stay home just to get stuff done.

One of my YW was out of school this week and on Monday morning I had an email from her asking if see could play with my kids this week. I didn't necessarily need a babysitter at all this week (plus there is tons of family around that usually helps out) but I had her come over three days and play with the kids ... the kids loved it, she loved it and so did I. One of the days I didn't even go anywhere but I got tons done around the house.

Sounds like you need to think about your routine and figure out how to switch it up - teach your kids that mom needs 'mom time' and they will have there own 'mom play time' as well. Maybe you start out your day giving your kids tons of attention, breakfast, baths, get ready for the day...then they know that next you get 45 minutes to yourself. Give Abi some workbooks/colorbooks, etc and put Brooklyn in a jumper. Then you can take a bath, get dressed, pluck your eyebrows (!), or work on your computer. Then plan to go somewhere with your kids (even if it is just out to fill the car with gas and get a car wash). We try to go SOMEWHERE everyday ... even if it is quick and simple. Getting out of the house makes a big difference. Then after lunch is 'quiet time' in your room for everyone. You can buy great clocks that have timers on them and a light will turn on {or off} when the 'quiet time' is over and the child can come out of their room {I don't have one but some of my friends use them}. After that give your kids all your attention again for an hour or so. You get the idea. It is a schedule and they will learn to follow it {not over night of course}. At lease once a week, sometimes twice a week my girlfriends and I get together at each-others houses for lunch and to let the kids play. It is simple, easy, free, and helps everyone feel satisfied.

You could switch kids with another girlfriend once a week - that way you each get some 'free' time and the kids get to play.

Also, I think you mentioned that Brooklyn still does not sleep through the night. Is she getting UP 6-8 times. That is crazy and the interrupter sleep is probable not helping with they way you are feeling. I don't have the solution for babies that don't sleep, but I would start asking around and try and help her 'learn' to sleep through the night - that will help your mental state of being tremendously!! {I have heard you just have to let them cry it out a few nights - it might be REALLY bad before it gets better but it might be worth it}

Okay, I will get off my soap box. Just some ideas. I hope they help.

Camille

Samantha said...

Such great ideas already! Hang in there, mama. I don't how you are STILL getting up 6-8 times a night and are STILL alive!!! I have not the patience you do!! At about 4 months, I was very firm that sleeping babies conform to ME and my sleeping schedule. It sucked for about a week, but thank heaven they learn. I think once you get a REAL night sleep, you will feel like life is so much more ... live-able? I know I just felt like I was barely surviving when Owen was getting up every two hours at night after he was born. I can't imagine doing 90 minutes of P90X on top of that and renovating a house and trying to move on with all of life's activities. Something's gotta give...and it CAN'T be YOU. Get that cute little bugger to give you some rest, mama :) She's a big girl! If I can take the kids for you at all again, please, LET ME KNOW!! And, we need to have a girls night, also ;)