Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An Afternoon...

I actually had half an afternoon to do some projects that have been sitting for some time now. I was doubly blessed this past year to recieve a sewing machine from an aunt and a serger from another aunt of mine. I have always wanted to purchase these, but we never had the funds. Thank you... I have the greatest Aunts ever!

Well, after 4 months, I finally got just the sewing machine serviced and was ready to sew away! Of course, there were things that I should have expected to happen, but didn't see them coming. For example... I got set all up and couldn't get the sewing machine to run! What? I just had it worked on... oh yeah Claire, you got to flip the switch to turn the bottom plug on.
Then... the thread kept breaking and I was SO frustrated. I called my mom to help my troubleshoot it (for like 30 mins), and then ended up calling the service guy to ask for help. I ended up loading it (heavy) and Abi (heavy) into the car and taking it to his shop... for all this work and hours of my time... he opens it... and instantly says "It's threaded wrong." OH! STUPID ME! We loaded it back up and drove home.

So my three hours for sewing turned into 45 mins... kind of sad, but for my first time sewing in YEARS and my first time not having a mom to do the hard parts (thanks mom) I should have expected this to happen. I ended up staying up late last night becuase I really wanted to finish them.. anyway...

The Viking is over 30 years old, but runs so well!

And to present my final projects!

Three lovely pillows for my purple couch! They turned out great! I am not really talented with basteing yet, but I know with some practice I will get better. I do have to say that they don't look terrible and are quite to my expectations (which means a lot!)


And my table runner! Finally the finishing touches for my new table. The purple runner matches the flower arrangement and my couch perfectly. It ties the two areas together really nicely. The runner was hard to sew because it is really loosely woven and is kind of like a burlap sack feel. But I do like that it isn't perfect... it adds more texture to the room.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Maria said...

Great work! I love your pillows and purple additions- Dan is so good to let :) you have purple!!!