I was able to teach a floral design class the other month at Roy High. We made bud vases. The teacher emailed me again a couple of weeks ago and asked me to teach again as a substitute. How could I not say yes! I love to teach and share my talents.
Ms. Griffith and I discussed what we would like to teach and we decided that I would talk to the students about pricing, color and then we would make pomander balls. We priced out how much our materials cost and how we would figure out how much to sell these pomander balls for. Then we talked about color and color schemes, but they already knew a lot about that so it helped us progress faster into making our designs.
They used the color talk to pick color schemes for their pomander balls and we had them do these designs in groups.
Here are the beautiful results which they then sold to their clients which were other teachers in the school.
Some things that stuck out to me:
- I have so much respect towards teachers! I came home and couldn’t lift a finger I was so tired. All the planning, preparation, and endurance… and I knew and expected it to be this way with all the teaching experience I have had in the past, but I just grew a deeper respect.
- It is tough to be a substitute teacher… knowing and trying to figure out how and what the teacher has taught and such. Maybe that is why I was so tired :) (I don’t think there is any excuse)
- Teens have such different ideas on -
- what is beautiful
- acceptance and confidence in their own designs
- knowing what others will find pleasing
- how to act and what is acceptable
- Some people are gifted with design, some learn it, and some can’t wrap their brains around it – can you tell which groups were which by the final products?
- Always order more supplies – we were short and I had to take apart my pomander ball to share with the others
- There is never enough time to talk about what we would like to in class!
- I don’t get paid enough for what I do! And that is one of the most amazing things about our business. I truly love what I do and we don’t charge a huge markup for our products because it makes me that happy to just design for others. But it also makes us competitive business for others… just sayin’
- I would love to do this again… it was so neat!
No comments:
Post a Comment