Saturday, September 8, 2012

Aunt Eleanor’s Wedding

*Previously, I had posted about Eleanor’s wedding. Since then, I have received some emails and comments that I was offensive. I by no means, was trying to be offensive. That is not who I am. I have since, come in and rephrased how I shared what I believe and felt. I will not and cannot retract statements based on my testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, but I can reword those statements to help those of you who didn’t understand what I was truly trying to express. If you are offended by my personal testimony, you are free to choose not to read my blog. But I welcome all and anyone to read. That is what my blog is for. My motto in life is Grace & Dignity and that is what I try to emanate in all that I do and say. I am also honest in what I say, so just because parts of this post are different from the first post, doesn’t mean that I have changed my mind or am adding in fluff to make others feel better, I am just sharing different insights that I didn’t originally share. 
 
Dan’s aunt was married last week. We had a busy day and week getting ready for the wedding in light of Dan’s brother leaving on a mission, Dan’s whole family being in town for the last time in a while, and I also did the flowers for her wedding (which I was so honored to be able to do).  It was a beautiful evening and we were blessed to have the rain give an opening for the beautiful backyard ceremony.
 
When I first found out Eleanor was engaged, I was so excited for her. I think Marriage is a WONDERFUL thing – heck, I am in business because of it, but more for the fact that I think it is such an important event in anyone’s life. There is great symbolism in any wedding ceremony and I have enjoyed those ceremonies that I have been able to do flowers for and attend.
 
Eleanor was so sweet in hiring us to do her wedding party flowers. She had a great vision for her backyard too, which I know was tons of work. I saw what it was before hand (they just bought the house) and within a month, it was transformed and looked awesome! I was also thrilled to see the suggestions I gave her, put to use when she worked on the yard.
 
When the ceremony started, I couldn’t think anything but positive thoughts. Bob looked very handsome and I loved his Tux. The bridesmaids were cute and I loved Elise’s heels. When I saw Eleanor, my breath was short because I have never seen her so dolled up and she looked radiant. Her ivory gown was perfect for the setting and the flowers were the perfect accent to the whole wedding party. Anthony, her son, was dashing and I have never seen him look so good or so happy. That was really neat for me.
 
I also loved that Bob’s family was a huge part of the wedding. He seems to have good family relations and we loved talking with his brother and niece during the reception. It made me appreciate Bob more because I don’t know him extremely well.
 
IMG_1904IMG_1906IMG_1908IMG_1910IMG_1914IMG_1918IMG_1919IMG_1922IMG_1923IMG_1924IMG_1925IMG_1927IMG_1934IMG_1937IMG_1939IMG_1942IMG_1943IMG_1946IMG_1948IMG_1952IMG_1953IMG_1955IMG_1966IMG_1969IMG_1970IMG_1971IMG_1976IMG_1982IMG_1985
Even with such a good night with good company, being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Dan and I felt that there were some things missing that we wish we could share with the happy couple sometime in the future. They are things that can enhance and give more joy to a marriage that are hard to comprehend until you are able to take part in them.
The first thing is that we believe in being married with and by the right authority. Anyone can give a marriage license, but being sealed by the priesthood power is so much more. It means that you are married for eternity. I am so lucky to be able to have Dan with me after I die. All the time here on earth building our relationship isn’t going to stop. We will be able to continue our love and our ties as a family forever. And we believe that only the priesthood power can do that here on this earth.
To add to being married with the right authority we also believe in being married in the right place. And that place for us is a temple that is dedicated to the Lord and set apart to do His work. The temple is a place that no unclean thing can enter and the ordinances with their covenants that happen there are sacred and are ones that continue into eternity. The temple is a place that anyone can enter if they are worthy and willing to put in the time and agency necessary.
And finally, we believe that marriage should be done at the right time. When you have found that person who has the same eternal goals as you and when you have worked and prepared to be ready to enter into those marriage covenants. We also believe that a temple marriage should be performed before you give yourself to your spouse. That was one of the only things that I could give to Dan was myself and my commitment to him. So we teach that choosing to save yourself physically for your spouse is the correct way because that is the physical way of giving yourself to your spouse.
Now, what I am not saying is that if you haven’t done these things, you are condemned and have no ability to experience the eternal joy that Dan and I were discussing after this wedding. We are so lucky to know that our Savior, Jesus Christ has taken upon us all our sins and transgressions. We are all mortal and prone to mess up, and some of us won’t even have the opportunity to hear about all this good news of Christ’s Gospel. Because of Christ’s atonement, we can be forgiven and have a change of heart that can give us the desire to become more like our Father in Heaven. We have been blessed with the great ability to change and have a change of heart. Dan and I pray for this for our own weaknesses as well as those in our family and friends who we wish to experience this joy.
 
That is what I was trying to say. I want others to know that there is great news and joy to lift your spirit and give you full purpose in life. My testimony is this deep, burning that I want to share with my friends and especially with my family who I hold very dear.
 
On our way home in most GORGEOUS rainstorm (notice the illuminated background from the sunset and rain), we stopped at the Bountiful Temple. Even just stopped on the side of the road, we instantly were reassured that the temple is a house of God. The spirit was overwhelming in our car and we were able to share with Abi and Brookie our hopes of joining them someday there. And we were able to go home in a joyous, thankful retrospect for what we know and our eternal family.
IMG_1987

Want to learn more about what we believe and this really great news? Check it out here… Mormon.org

3 comments:

Sterling Bo said...

Beautiful photo of the Bountiful temple... Sometimes, when I just need that peace or reassurance, it helps to just be near the house of the Lord. Thanks for sharing!

Cameron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Reynolds said...

First of all, beautiful flowers! I've always loved your style. Secondly, I completely agree with your point of view so I have nothing negative to say about that. I was surprised with how boldly you stated what you believe even when it dealt with family and I loved it. In these last days you have to be bold and you have to stand for what you believe in! It's getting more and more important to view things in black and white, not the shade of gray that the world is creating. So thirdly, thank you! I love having strong people to stand up with!