Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fall Break - Thomas Hunting Trip

For once, I finally agreed to go hunting with Dan. It is by far, not my favorite thing for various reasons, but my love for him is stronger than my dislikes :)

We had no idea where we were going, but Dan did. I kept asking him if he knew the way... like about every 5 miles.

We ate dinner from a gas station. That was first for me. Surprisingly it was good (I had a salad) and I would eat there again. Plus, the cashier was SUPER nice with my whiny girls. That made all the difference and I must remember that. 





We stopped at this sign and Abi said, "Are we still in America?" My mom, who was raised in Idaho, got a huge kick out of this question. It is a totally different country :)

We made it to the RV at the Oakley yard late late. But it worked great and we stayed warm.



This is the Oakley yard, owned by work and right on the Utah/Idaho border. So where we stayed was work. That was really nice because it allowed us to see where Dan and Lon spend a lot of their time during the summers. 








The first day was just our little family and we drove the five miles to get to City of Rocks in Idaho. 





We did a "wide selfie" mode on my phone and the girls moved during it so Abi only has half a face and Eliza has two extra arms.















I am grateful I think things through because the girls had HUGE holes in the bums of thier leggings (I packed old ones) from sliding on their bums. The rock isn't smooth like goblin valley, it is rough granite.


Dan and I laughed when we drove through "cleavage pass" - named by us of course. 

This rock was so neat and we watched the rock climbers for awhile.  It is hard to get the perspective of this rock until you realize Dan and Abi are on top. 










There are loads of cattle ranchers in the area. We liked watching the cowboys rope in the cattle.


From the Oakley yard, you drive an hour up a mountain to get to the quarry. This was our final destination for the weekend. It seriously was on top of a mountain. We stayed in the crew's' new mobile home and it was really nice! (Minus the 8/12 missing mattresses for the bunk beds and all the pots and pans)
We tested out our guns----



Finger on the trigger--- not blue card safe, but I'm good with that gun. Thanks Dad!








Flip flops instead of steel toed boots... I felt rebellious. 







Playing games at night-


The next morning the crew went out to hunt and brought back their first deer- It was a celebration :)




After naps and dinner, the men went out again and brought back two more-

Jocie loves peas :)




We went from 80 degrees to 50 in one night. The storm that we were in was incredible. We were up so high that the fog was ridiculous. 


Shirts or skins? Which team are you on? Three of the four bucks we got. 



Crazy driving skills. You really can't tell that on the other side of the loader, there is a cliff. 



Dinner at McDonald's while Eliza just helped herself to Dan's burger. We drove home the car and the RV in the most torrential electric storm ever! Don't think I want to do that again. I was so grateful to get home safely. 


No comments: