Just a couple of quick stories while I am thinking about it -
This morning Dan and Abi were playing fishing. That is where Abi lays on the floor like a fish and Dan casts out trying to catch her. He always casts where she is not. Today he turned and cast his line towards Brookie. It was almost as if we watched the lure fly through the air and land right in B’s cereal bowl. Right on cue we hear her, “No, Dad!” We all busted up laughing.
This past week in the car, I hear from the back seat, “Abi, you remember Dad? Well, that’s mom.”
This morning there was a loud banging inside of the hall closet. out of irritation, I asked what was going on. Abi comes out and says, “I was trying to be a stuffed animal in the closet.”
Abi felt so privileged the other week when she got to sit in Dan’s truck to wait for the bus. It was a rainy day and Dan had been working at home so he offered to take her to the bus on his way out. While they were waiting, they started to clean the inside of his truck. It was fun to watch from our front window. When Abi got home that day, I asked her about her wait. She said it was great and learned a lot. I asked her what she learned and she proceeded to tell me, “Well, I learned that Dad uses his shirts to clean and when he doesn’t have his shirt off, he uses his socks.” I have yet to ask Dan about this, but I couldn’t keep in my laughter.
Yesterday B and A were looking for bows while getting ready for church. Abi asked B, “B are you going to wear your crown to church?” B answered, “Huh,” which is a typical yes for her. Then Abi says, “Well, I don’t think the bishop would approve of that. But it’s your choice.”
The girls have been having a harder time getting a long lately. As much as B is obsessed with her “Tister,” they both have really strong personalities. Mix those with my personality and we know why 5pm is the witching hour. It has been really hard for me. I feel like the one learning like a child again as I have prayed for the strength of resistance in raising my voice. Unfortunately, I haven’t been as perfect as I want to be (read: not good). But I know that Heavenly Father only asks that we do our best and as long as my average curve is going up, I think that is what he is looking for. So here’s to a better week in our home.
2 comments:
You are a great mom, I'm absolutely sure of it. And there are times (in my book), when raising your voice moderately is an important way to let kids know you are serious. God often spoke to his disobedient children in a loud and thunderous voice. Now, He never shouted at them...so that's different. But a moderate voice raising....sometimes they need a reminder of who's in charge...and that's MOM! It's so hard when they don't get along, sometimes I just don't know what the right answer is the solve the conflict :/
Too cute!
If we all started out as perfect mothers we wouldn't be able to learn and grow! Keep it up, you're doing a great job.
Post a Comment