Thursday, January 21, 2010

we want cake!

we have been able to go to some BYU basketball games this past week. we have even taken Abi... which has been very enjoyable and she has been wonderful. she loves putting her hands in the air and giving spirit fingers when we are shooting free-throws. then she will drop them and and say "wish" when we make it. she’s great! if BYU makes over 80 points a local restaurant gives out free chocolate cake during the week if you take your tickets in. so everyone yells for cake starting around 76 points. we have reached it with standing ovation both games we have been to. the cake is delish too!

DSC08924

DSC08926

 DSC08929

 DSC08930

I have a professor who teaches my parenting class. he tends to throw in his parenting pet-peeves as he likes to call them. well last week he went on, very negatively, about parents who take their children to basketball games because the kids don’t even know what is going or even care. it really doesn’t help my opinion of him when he rails on young parents like me. (i happen to be the only parent in this class, ps). he went on about why can’t parents get baby sitters or just stay home and be parents. do you see some problems in the fact that he is supposed to be teaching us about good parenting? (he always soap boxes about parents in sacrament too). anyway, in spite of him i went out and bought tickets to three bball games after that class. i was so upset and wanted to show him that i can and will take my child to events.

to my complete delight, this game just happened to be FAMILY DAY!!! there were LOADS of children and babies. none of which paid attention to the game (i’ll give you props for that professor), but the parents and other fans alike seemed to enjoy every moment of the game. i know we did. we did have time out once, but overall--- TAKE THAT PROFESSOR, I WIN! now i am going to eat my cake.

7 comments:

Josh said...

Good post...sounds like a disgruntled man.
Stay at home and be parents eh? What, let their kid sit in front of the TV? I think it is great to get out and let your kids experience those things... So what if they don't know what is going on, most of the time they don't, but they are starting to build good relationships with their parents. I can remember many of the activities that I did with mom and dad (even before you were born). That means a lot to me now because I knew that they were there for me. We have always tried to let Libby do anything she can with us ever since she was born. Now she goes with the flow so well and we don't feel so tied down by her and keeping her home, she does it all with us! We have had a lot of people comment on how good we are about making Libby a part of our everyday life. Good for you... you are doing the right thing. I can't wait for the day I can take my girls to a ball game.

Kimber said...

haha stick it to the man clasrissa!!!

Abe n Linz said...

lol, you showed him. I have heard that you should try to take your kids out as much as possible because then you can teach them proper social skills and it's a great way to bond with them!

Camilla and Tim said...

What better way for kids to learn about the events! My dad always took us to the BYU football and basketball games! One of my most favorite memories in fact! Way to go Clarissa! I think you are great parents :)

Megan said...

I'd love to see what he has to say about sacrament meeting. We should just stay home and be parents then, too, right?

Hopkinson said...

That professor is WAY out of touch. How did he get a job at BYU? You should call him on it and print all these comments just for back up.
Write him up in the reviews for sure. What a lame perspective.
I'm all for well-rounded, well-adjusted kids. You CAN'T get that by sitting at home all the time.

Unknown said...

And Tiff would know, she has taken her kids (all 4) to MEXICO several times!!

I was thinking about his and maybe he was meaning that you should not always leave your children at home with a babysitter while you go out - if you do that all the time. Maybe he is against the parents that are always leaving kids and 'parting' without them. I don't know, just seems way out of line for a professor at BYU.